Pages

Friday 22 December 2023

2022. My projects

I'll start my story about the works of 2022 with the Fish Fantasy project. It is a recreation in glass of M.C. Escher's woodcut titled "Fish and Scales," from 1959. Maurits Cornelis Escher is my Inspiration. I admire his Talent and Mastery. It's not just admiration; I want to train myself to reach a similar level of expertise. How to do that? It requires following the path of the artist M.C. Escher precisely and meticulously. In 2022, I completed two works inspired by M.C. Escher.


When I create my glass recreations – and in my collection, there are already five Van Goghs in my interpretation, five Dürers in my interpretation, three Kusamas in my interpretation, and now, two Eschers in my interpretation – I assure you, I understand the Responsibility that comes with such projects. I put my heart into it. For me, these works are like conquering peaks for a mountaineer. But I am deeply convinced that my coloured glass breathes new life into these masterpieces.

So, Fish Fantasy. It turned out to be a very refined piece of work. I made an effort to capture every dot and line. Beautiful artistic glass.

And here's another piece - my interpretation of M.C. Escher's woodcut "Stars," created in 1948. While Escher was primarily interested in spatial geometry, my focus was on... Love. This work is dedicated to my reflections on love, believe it or not. Let me explain. First, I'll show you the text written on the artwork:

This work is called Chameleon Love. It is a recreation in glass of the woodcut "Stars" by M.C. Escher (October 1948). I changed the color scheme of the work to highlight my idea. For me, this work is about the love of two beings who are close in spirit and able to adapt to each other's characteristics in such a way that they can coexist in a narrow space. Glass work and technique by Julia Protkova. 2022.

Now, let's take a look at the chameleons. At the top is a red-green female chameleon, and at the bottom is a green-red male chameleon. Each chameleon has the colors of the other. They complement each other, they are both similar and different at the same time. 
I've created a slideshow during the process of working on the Chameleon Love. It's very interesting, and I recommend taking a look.

Now I'll show you three works created using medium sized frit. I want to emphasize that working with glass powder and working with glass frit are two significantly different processes. In 2022, I created three works using medium-sized frit. The first one is called Irises 2022. I recreated Van Gogh's Irises, painted by him in 1889, using frit. For me, this is the second recreation of Irises. My first work, titled "Irises. Inspired by Van Gogh", was done in 2018. Through that piece, I climbed out of a prolonged, very heavy, four-year depression. You can find the story about that work in my blog here. Several years later, in 2022, I decided to repeat Irises using a different technique to gain a deeper understanding of my inner state. Van Gogh was bipolar, and I share the same diagnosis. I feel like I hear him very delicately.

Working with frit is fascinating. Notice the beautiful shimmering effect that appeared in the Irises.

The next piece I'd like to showcase is called My Caprice I was working on a morally challenging project called "Eyes of Depression" - it was emotionally difficult, and I was reliving those years of darkness. Suddenly, I got fed up with it all. I took glass frit and decided to create something on a whim. As a result, this work incorporates many hidden experimental and future ideas. 


After creating "My Caprice," I got into the swing of things and made Caprice #2. In this piece, I incorporated several dozen experiments that I had been contemplating for several years but hadn't had the chance to bring to fruition.

The trip to Spain, specifically to Andalusia, in March at the beginning of spring, was a monumental event for me in 2022. It was absolutely amazing. I had been dreaming about it for fifteen years. Upon arrival, I created Symphony #2 on the spot, but unfortunately, it exploded in the kiln. I was a bit disappointed but still decided to make a souvenir for myself and created a project I named Flamenco by Julia Protkova. The idea is that I am the one dancing flamenco.

I took the silhouette of a flamenco dancer and replaced the face with a red spot. The grey, coarse glass frit is meant to reflect, in my opinion, the intense rhythm of the dance and the sound of the heels tapping, while the multicoloured lines represent the swirling flounces of the skirt. A fan is held in hand. So, what does the red spot instead of a face signify? I'll tell you. It represents me being out of breath, blushing, and barely breathing from the fiery dance.



The next piece I'll share is created using glass powder and is titled Eyes of Depression. Here's what I wrote on this artwork:

This work is called Eyes of Depression. This is a recreation in glass of the grotesque by Daniel Hopfer (ca. 1515-1520). I changed the color scheme of the original.This work is meant to remember the darkest period of my life - four years of endless depression. I did not know how to live my life after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I lost myself. I became afraid of people. I had to relearn how to live. Glass work and technique by bipolar artist Julia Protkova. May-June 2022.

The thing is, I had already made this drawing in 2014, and it turned out to be a very striking set of two plates, which I shared here. But for me, the turning point between a normal life and a life on disability due to bipolar disorder was the end of 2014. In other words, one work was made BEFORE, and the other AFTER. When I fired the Eyes of Depression, they turned out to be not as striking as the previous work done in 2014.


The next artwork is the Impromptu Vase. I did all the color work in glass, and Rock Laplante  fused it to create the vase.


The work Prayer is a conceptual work. It was conceived suddenly and created in September 2022. The prayer is addressed to God the Geometer - the Creator of the Worlds. I often turn to God in my works. I have no doubt that there is a Supreme Intelligence in the Universe. I am convinced that we know very little about the world around us.

The work Prayer has undergone numerous changes in ideas and design, and as a result turned into a piece of the starry sky. This work is not like any of my other works, although I have created several works with starry skies.

Despite the randomly scattered constellations, there is a Higher Order here. It is not visible, I deliberately hid it, but it is there. There are Beacon Stars here that form the structure and Curtain Stars that hide the structure. There is a movie on my YouTube channel on how I created this work.

At the end of 2022, around Christmas, I visited the Corning Museum of Glass. While there, I also purchased tickets to try my hand at working with glass sculpting, creating four glass flowers. I named my project Little Scarlet Flower in honour of the Russian fairy tale written by S. Aksakov in 1854-56. I worked under the guidance of professionals and enjoyed this new form of expression in glass. The flowers were gifted to my mom, son, and sister. And one for myself). 


No comments:

Post a Comment