Pages

Friday 22 December 2023

2021. My projects.

The year 2021 was a pivotal period in my development as an artist. I curated my works not in chronological order but in a way that creates a flow in my narrative. I'll commence my story with the piece titled My Soul. This work holds significant importance for me. 

Honestly, I didn't anticipate naming the piece this way. Initially, I had envisioned a completely different design. However, as I traced the outline of my hands on the reverse side of the glass, I suddenly distinctly heard the thought that this was my soul. The piece encourages contemplation. Additionally, take note that the hands of little Yulka (Julia's nickname in Russian, would be pronounced as "Yool-ka.") are drawn in such a way that you can raise your hands in the same gesture and touch mine, welcoming my soul. It's a good piece—profound, and I am pleased with it.


I have a post and a video about the Glass Herd of Dürer's Rhinos. In my film, which exists in two copies—I voiced both an English and a Russian version—I shared the story behind the creation of my Rhinos. In 2021, Rhino-boy #3 was brought to life. This piece is my Everest, without exaggeration. It stands out as the best-executed among the Rhinos, a pinnacle of delicate craftsmanship. It is a source of great pride for me.


Symphony #1 is my first independent musical composition in glass. I have mentioned before that I hear glass; it's challenging to express in words, but I hear glass music. I had around 75 shades of multicoloured glass powder, and I wanted them to resonate in harmony.


The Takeoff project was conceived immediately after the passing of my father, a professor, avid fisherman, and amateur gardener. In this piece, each color carries significant meaning, and the optical illusion of the rising sphere symbolizes the ascent of his soul. I've created a video detailing the process of working on this project—it's quite captivating.


When I saw the image from the German manuscript (The Stammheim Missal, Hildesheim, ca. 1170; Ms.64 (97.MG.21), fol. 10v.), I fell in love with it instantly. I had some very beautiful glass, and I wanted to recreate this image in glass. I worked at the pace of one day of creation for each day. In other words, I created six circular images in six days. It was a very interesting, almost mystical, I would say, experience. Six days of Creation. 


I am delighted with this image. It's an illustration from the Spanish manuscript Beatus of Liébana, Commentary on the Apocalypse (the "Silos Apocalypse"), 1091-1109. The picture depicts Adam and Eve, but I named this project Insight on Love. In my interpretation, it represents a profoundly important emotion.


Hermes Trismegistus and the Creative Fire that Unites the Polarities is taken from an alchemy book from 1624. I have been fascinated by esotericism for over fifteen years and greatly enjoy exploring such themes. The creative fire in this image caught my interest. Interestingly, I found a coloured version of this engraving online, and the fire was depicted as ordinary flames. This disturbed me because creative fire is an entirely different substance. Additionally, being bipolar myself, I saw a connection with the two polarities depicted—the Sun and the Moon.

In general, it's a charming picture that I coloured according to my own interpretation. Specifically, the creative fire is also polar, with dark-purple hues reminiscent of the night and flashes of a spring day.


This piece is my third attempt at creating a Cat in glass. The original inspiration comes from Yayoi Kusama's self-portrait. In 2019, my first attempt ended in the piece shattering in the kiln. In 2020, the Cat emerged with a spot covering its entire face. In 2021, I mustered the courage for a third try. I've inscribed the following text on the work:

This work is called Alien Cat (Attempt #3). This is a re-creation in glass of a self-portrait by Yayoi Kusama (2009) that uses a different colour scheme. Yayoi Kusama is my role model, my guiding star and  my inspiration. I admire her talent and her passionate dedication towards art. This work is a tribute to her. This is my third attempt to re-create this Cat. I hope for success.  Glass work and technique by Julia Protkova. 2021.



This project is called "Owl." My mom really loves it. It's a nice, quick project created using glass powder.


This project is called "Tiger 2021." It's a revisiting of the same image with which I created a Tiger in 2013. I was curious to see my progress, and the result is a magnificent creature. Very well done!


In 2021, I created the stained glass piece Passion. It reflects on the concept of passion in general, particularly my passionate and obsessive attachment to coloured glass. Each color in the stained glass carries a symbolic meaning. For instance, the raindrop background signifies my tears along the stained glass path, while the ash-blue frame represents emotional burnout—a state I experienced. But overall, my Passion is beautiful.

As a self-taught artist, I crafted this stained glass at the Atelier under the guidance of the professional Rock Laplante. Rock shared the secrets of the craft with me, and I am immensely grateful to him for that. After Rock's passing in 2023, I acquired this stained glass piece, and it now resides in my collection as a reminder of our collaborative work. There is a video showcasing all the shades of glass in the Passion stained glass.


The following six pieces are made from coarse frit—large glass crumbs. I refer to them as instant fused panels (IFP). These are my experiments with large crumbs, a burst of ideas. Created within a couple of hours, my primary interest in this technique lies in its ease of execution. Ideally, it should be done near the kiln, but as I don't have that option, I had to modify the technique slightly. Nevertheless, the essence remains the same—it's a quick transmission of an idea. I dedicated all six works to members of my family. Each piece consists of both a drawing and text. Interestingly, writing the text on the work took almost as much time as creating the drawing itself.


The first work is called My Bipolar World. At the top - the sky and the sun. At the bottom - the night sky with the moon and stars. In the center - a symbolic image of our Earth, decorated with instant fused panels. This is my Dream - to create a Coloured Glass World and fly into space and see the World decorated with Coloured glass.

First panel. This work is called My Bipolar World. It reflects my vision as a human and that of a glass artist. This is my first trial using this new technique which I am still developing. Julia Protkova. May 2021.


The idea behind the second instant fused panel is more structured than the first. I actually thought about making this panel two-coloured. Blue is me, orange is my son. This is my favorite colour combination. In the center - a baby in the womb - from that moment my love for my son began. The upper-left-quadrant is the close interactions of a mother and child in childhood and the gradual weakening of guardianship with the maturation of the son. The bottom-right is my son and I - two independent individuals who love each other, but respect each other's space. The remaining two quadrants (bottom-left to top-right) are lined with colours of glass that my son chose.

Second panel. This work is called All in all. It is a reflection of the love I have for my Son as well as the love, warmth and support I receive from him. It is an honour to have him as my Son. This is the second trial where I am using a new technique that I am developing. Julia Protkova. May 2021.


The third panel consists entirely of light colours. This was my mom's request. My mom sponsored my IFP prototypes. “Follow your dreams”, she said. That's what I called this panel, Follow Your Dream. I love my mom very much. She is my friend. I tried to create an image of absolute happiness. For myself, this is a lake in which I would swim all day long, a meadow with colourful flowers and a sky sprinkled with stars. But the night sky has been replaced by a shooting star as the symbol of my Dream.

Third panel. This work is called Go for your Dream. These are words that my Mom said to me when she sponsored my recent glass experiments. This work is a tribute to my unique Mama. Trial #3. Julia Protkova. June 2021.


The fourth panel is dedicated to my sister. I asked my sister to choose the colours she wanted and her selection closely resembled the shades seen at night. Thus, a new experiment was born - how would dark glass look? I named this panel Greetings from Montreal. What does it mean? You know, back in 2014, I signed the Golden Book of Montreal at the City Hall. In that book, I wrote, “My dear Montreal, I really hope that my art will make you even more beautiful.” So, my panel depicts my dreams of decorating Montreal in particular.

Fourth panel. This work is called Greetings from Montreal. It is dedicated to my Sister for her care and love. It is because of you that I can call Montreal home and I am very grateful for that, Trial #4. Julia Protkova. July 2021.


The fifth panel is very complex and colourful. It's called Remembering Youth and is dedicated to my ex-husband. He has been and continues to be friend and support for 37 years. Each colour and ornament signifies certain stages and events of our youth.

Fifth panel. This work is called Remembering Youth. It is dedicated to my ex husband, my friend and my support for 35 years Victor Protkov. It was you who introduced me to art. It was you who taught me how to create. Trial #5. Julia Protkova. July-November 2021.


The sixth panel marks the completion of my experiments. It is called Music of Light and is dedicated to the memory of my Father. Here, I just allowed myself to just go with the flow. I was thinking of my Father and thanking him.

Sixth panel. This project is called Music of Light. It is dedicated to the memory of my father Professor Steve Globe (1938-2020). This is the final test in my study on Instant Fused Panels. This work summarizes my steps to develop this technique. Test #6. Julia Protkova. November 2021.


Let me say a few more words. I have the pleasure and good fortune of being able to watch over these panels day and night. I have seen and know how beautiful classic stained glass windows are. My instant fused panels IFPs shine just as well. Throughout the day, there are special moments where they reflect the sun in mesmerizing ways. I am convinced that this technique is very promising, beautiful, and rapid to perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment